Everything seems to be getting more expensive these days, which means that you’re likely looking more closely at the money you spend on everyday essentials. There are some things you can do without, but others that you can’t, and one that belongs in the latter category is most certainly that SPF 50 sunscreen bottle in your bag!
Why is it a must-have? The consequences of not wearing sunscreen on a regular basis are plain to see, and once the damage is done, it’s very hard to undo. Let’s take a look at just some of the damaging effects your skin has to bear when you don’t protect yourself against UV rays.
Remember…Your SPF 50 Sunscreen Bottle Stops It From Happening
Perhaps the most immediate consequence of not protecting your skin with your SPF 50 sunscreen bottle is sunburn. Running from mild redness to severe blisters, no one wants to go through the misery that it causes – particularly kids who have more delicate skin.
When you don’t wear sunscreen of any kind, this can happen in as little as 30 minutes, and the longer you’re out exposed and unprotected, the closer you get to real skin trauma. It just doesn’t bear thinking about, but most of us have been through it at some point in our lives.
Other undesirable effects of sun exposure include:
- Older-looking skin – When you’re exposed to the sun time and again, it serves to speed up the skin’s ageing process. This means wrinkles, fine lines, and even age spots a long time before you’re actually supposed to have them. This all amounts to older-looking skin.
- Hyperpigmentation – Dark spots on the skin can look unsightly and lead to an uneven tone. This is known as hyperpigmentation – something that makes any blemishes on your skin appear more prominent. This is more likely to happen if sunscreen isn’t there to stop it.
- Increased risk of skin cancer – Without wanting to get too serious here, skin cancer is more likely when UV rays are allowed to do their damage unhindered. Melanoma is just one of the types the sun can cause – and the likelihood increases significantly after just one bout of sunburn. Something to think about.
- A weakened immune system – Did you know that the sun’s UV rays actually suppress the body’s immune system? Well, it’s true, meaning that you become more susceptible to infections.
- Breakdown of collagen – Youthful skin looks plump and tender because of its high levels of collagen. However, UV rays are known to break down collagen, as well as elastin fibers, making your skin saggier over time.
- Skin conditions can be worsened – If you already have skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, UV exposure can lead to those problems getting worse. A misconception in circulation is that the sun actually helps issues like acne and eczema, but it’s just not true.
Your SPF 50 Sunscreen Bottle Is Worth More Than You Think
When it’s all weighed up, using sunscreen is a must. The skin is the body’s biggest organ, and if you don’t protect it, it’s not able to protect you back by keeping out all those nasties that exist. Refrain from using sunscreen, and it will look older, feel older and lead to cancer in the worst-case scenario. Your sunscreen is worth more than you think, so don’t skip it!